Flint Insurance, Simple
Flint Personal
Car Insurance
Home insurance
Flint Trades
Prestige Car Insurance
High Value Home Insurance
Flint Business
Motor Trade Insurance
HGV insurance
Flint Trades
Flint Trades
Employers Liability
Professional Indemnity
Customer Satisfaction In 2014 Flint Insurance surveyed existing customers to rate the overall standard of service they received from us, 98% of 3800 people surveyed rated Flint's services as extremely good.
It's nice to know we deliver a premium level of customer satisfaction to our clients, we work hard at Flint to make sure you get the insurance service you require for your everyday needs.
Insurance News

Insurance News, brought to you by Flint Insurance

Every UK Business Needs Employers liability Insurance
Published: 17/12/09

Employer’s liability insurance is essential in the UK, and you are legally bound to provide coverage to your staff, even part-time and casual labour. According to Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 (ELCA) it is mandatory for every employer to have this type of insurance. This covers various health and safety issues as well. Any compensation or related costs will be covered by this insurance if any employee has an accident or falls ill while on the job.

Even though accidents may be few and far between, there is always a risk, and without employer’s liability insurance you could end up having to pay millions of pounds, leading to financial ruin. As a rule, the amount of cover has a lower limit of £5 million, with no stipulated upper limit. You ought to make sure you display your employer’s liability insurance certificate at your workplace.

Although premiums may have gone up in the past few years, avoiding employer’s Public liability insurance can get you into serious trouble with the law, including your financial status, in the event of having any claim filed against you. Only those businesses that are not limited companies and employ close family members are exempted from employer’s liability insurance. If you are a limited company and the only employee with at least 50 percent of shares, then you do not need this insurance.

Often, employers' liability insurance is included as a part of business insurance packages, eliminating the need for arranging for this cover separately, thereby reducing costs. If you run a small business then it may be worth clubbing it with public liability insurance. Health and Safety Executive Inspectors can visit your office at any time and you need to make the employers' liability insurance certificate available to them. All the employees are also entitled to see a copy, which you need to display in an appropriate place. Failure to produce one can result in a fine up to £1000. All copies of insurance need to be retained for at least 40 years since some diseases can occur later.

If you are considered a high-risk business, you may attract a higher premium. In order to lower this cost you need to ensure that you adhere to the relevant health and safety regulations. If you can prove a good track record, the insurance company may consider lowering your premium.
In order to be maintain an effective policy, make sure you provide adequate protection to your employees. The insurance company can refuse to pay compensation if you do not do so, or have not followed their guidelines.

Remember to purchase employer’s liability insurance from an authorised insurer, who work within the framework of the Financial Services and Markets Act (2000). The details of authorised insurers are available in the Financial Services Authority’s register.

If the question of whether you need employer’s liability insurance is still on your mind, then in all probability the answer should be in the affirmative. It provides you with the perfect protection of otherwise being in financial ruin. It is advisable to consult specialist who will be able to guide you through the process.

News Archive »

RSS News Feed
To subscribe to our RSS feed click here »

View the complete range of our Commercial Insurance products »

To find out more about any Flint Insurance product, or to get a quote: Request a call back » One of our advisors will call you back at a time to suit you.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority
Goods in Transit Lorry Insurance Fleet Insurance Commercial Insurance Buy to let Insurance Engineering insurance
Flint Insurance Sitemap Contact us Insurance News Company Vision Claims Renewals About us